At the sign of the Barking lion...

All Saints, Creeting St Mary

At the sign of the Barking lion...

home index e-mail what's new? - a journey through the churches of Suffolk

site of All Saints

    The southern part of the village of Creeting St Mary, roughly that which is now beyond the A14, was once Creeting All Saints, and the parish church shared a churchyard with that of Creeting St Mary. All Saints was a round-towered church, but seems to have been built without any foundations, which suggests either antiquity or extreme carelessness on this exposed hilltop.
Whatever, it was comprehensively wrecked beyond repair by a storm in 1800. Some of the masonry may have been incorporated into a transept built to accomodate the All Saints parishioners in the adjacent church of St Mary; this transept has also disappeared, replaced by a huge north aisle in the 1870s.

Nothing remains of All Saints, although it is possible to imagine its location, since the slope of the hill is levelled towards the south west of the graveyard. There is also a plaque put up by the District Council, giving information about the church. You can also see the font from All Saints, because it is in the 19th century church nearby at Stowupland. Some of the gravestones here would have been in existence before All Saints' demise. But don't be fooled by their location; they've been reordered since. The parishes were subsumed in one, with a pretty late Georgian vestry building on the edge of the graveyard.

  the site of All Saints

Simon Knott, June 2011

the vestry



Amazon commission helps cover the running costs of this site