OF ORGANS IN SUFFOLK by David Drinkell
to individual churches will be added as soon as possible)
compiled from the National Pipe Organ Register, the writings of
various enthusiasts and my own notes. I owe a
great debt to the knowledge of John Budgen, who
was for many years in charge of Bishop & Son
(Ipswich). This list does not claim to be 100%
complete, and the information may have been
rendered out of date by recent events and
Acton organ from elsewhere, 1983,
Aldeburgh Walker 1864, rebuilt Hunter
(Clapham), subsequently modified by Bishop.
Aldringham organ by George White (London)
replaced by an electronic.
Alpheton Case of Bryceson barrel organ
c.1850, insides by Wheaton (Cambridge). Here 1976
from Lutton, Northamptonshire.
Ampton Lewis 1889
Ashbocking supplied Chappell & Co
(London) 1879. Probably built by Prosser
Aspall Gray & Davison
Assington Bevington 1883
Albert Pease (London) 1864
Badingham Gray & Davison
Badley Bevington. Gothick case.
Badwell Ash Bates. Nice case.
Bardwell Bishop & Son 1909, apparently
supplied and installed by Norden.
Barham Walker 1895
Barking George Greene (Ipswich)
Barnardiston early 19th century, ex-Barnardiston
Methodist, installed 1999.
Barnby R. Forster (London). Gothick case.
Barnham James Corps (London) Gothick case.
Barningham Henry Jones 1878
Barrow Ingram 1894
Barsham Hill 1877
Barton Mills Conacher (Huddersfield) 1870, Bishop
Battisford Bishop & Starr 1862, as a residence
organ for Charles Steggall, organist of Lincolns
Inn. Here 1914. Fierce looking case.
Bawdsey ex-Shottisham. Here in the 1930s.
Baleham Thomas Jones
Beccles, St. Michael George Pike England and
Abraham Jordan 1796, much rebuilt, most recently by
Rushworth & Dreaper (Liverpool) 1938 and Boggis 1981
Beccles, St. Benet RC Norman & Beard ex-Bungay
Bedfield Bevington c.1860, ex-Fressingfield. Here
Bedingfield Norman & Beard
Belstead Norman & Beard c.1890
Benacre Holdich 1848. One stop plus octave
coupler. Gothick case.
Benhall Green ex-Chevington 1936
Bentley Robson 1848, ex-Old Hall, East Bergholt.
Rebuilt here by Bishop c.1920.
Beyton Gray & Davison chamber organ 1854
ex-Severn Bank School
Blaxhall Thomas Jones (London)
Blundeston W.C. Mack (Great Yarmouth) c.1870
Blythburgh from Cocking, Sussex, originally by
Bevington. Rebuilt Bishop & Son 1894, 1951, Boggis
Botesdale possibly Hart (Redgrave) from Redgrave
Botesdale Methodist Hill
Boulge Norman & Beard 1891
Boxford Hill 1875
Boxted Casson Positive
Bradfield Combust anonymous, Gothick case.
Bradfield Combust Methodist W.H. Laycock
Bradfield St. George Casson Positive
Bramfield Cousans (Lincoln) Premier
Bramford Hunter (Clapham) 1895
Brandeston chamber organ c.1785, attributed to
Robson, ex-Butley. Restored 1999 Peter Bumstead (Ipswich)
with a new case in period style
Brandon Conacher (Huddersfield)
Brandon, St. Thomas of Canterbury RC Casson
Positive ex-Oundle RC, Northamptonshire. Here
Brandon, Baptist Speechley & Ingram (London)
Brantham Bishop & Son 1970, enlarged c.1985
Bredfield Alfred Noble (Birmingham) 1875
Brent Eleigh Bates chamber organ
Brettenham Conacher organ replaced by electronic
Brightwell Casson Positive, installed
Brockley rather odd, possibly chamber organ,
installed by Tom Robbins (Kent)
Brome, St. Mary Walker, enlarged Norman &
Brome, St. Michael Thomas Elliot 1817. Moved here
1938 from a house in Surrey by Hill, Norman & Beard.
Pretty case with glass doors.
Bromeswell Casson Positive c.1905
Bucklesham Hele (Plymouth) 1911
Bungay, Holy Trinity 1855, rebuilt
Bungay, St. Mary E.W. Norman, ex-Rose Hall,
Bungay. Rebuilt Walker 1961.
Bungay, St. Edmund RC Norman & Beard 1891 (old
organ went to Beccles RC)
Bures Norman & Beard 1909
Burgate Walker 1866
Burgh Thomas Jones St. Cecilia model
organ (similar to a Casson)
Burstall Boggis 1884. Nice case.
Bury St. Edmunds, Cathedral - Nicholson (Worcester) 1971.
Due for rebuilding (Harrison, Durham) with new case when
the tower is paid for. There is also a 1791 chamber organ
by Henry Holland (London), ex-St. Mary, Hales, and, in
the Song School, a Casson Positive which
originally stood in St. Pauls Cathedral and was
acquired by Canon Gordon Paget..
Bury St. Edmunds, St. John Hunter (Clapham)
c.1870, rebuilt Johnson (Cambridge) 1978
Bury St. Edmunds, St. Mary Large 4 manual organ,
in its present state principally by Hill, Norman &
Beard 1931, but modified by Compton 1959 and Kenneth
Canter 1988. Also a chamber organ by John Harris c.1700
from a chapel in Neasden. Casework not original.
Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmund RC Gildersleeve,
Cedric Arnold 1960
Bury St. Edmunds, Trinity Methodist Cedric Arnold
Bury St. Edmunds, United Reformed Norman Brothers
Butley Tunks (London) previous organ went to
Buxhall Mander Denham model organ 1958
Campsea Ashe Gray & Davison 1878
Capel St. Mary Willis 1896. Fine case added by
Bishop & Son 1927.
Carlton W.C. Mack 1901
Carlton Colville Brindley & Forster (Leeds)
Cavendish Henry Jones 1884
Cavendish United Reformed Hunter c.1897
Charsfield early 19th century chamber organ
ex-Fishtoft, Lincolnshire. Here c.1960.
Chattisham pretty little early 19th century organ,
here after 1969.
Chediston Very odd ex-chamber organ, c.1830 with
an extravagant case
Chelmondiston Roger Pulham 1982. Very fine case.
Chelsworth August Gern (London). One of his early
ones which retains the French influence of his master,
Aristide Cavaillé Coll.
Chevington ex-Little Paxton, Cambridgeshire
Clare rebuild Bishop post-1976.
Clare, United Reformed Wadsworth (Huddersfield)
1925. Secondhand. Previous organ to Lavenham
Claydon Bevington 1863
Clopton Green c.1880 rebuilt Arnold 1951
Cockfield, Congregational small anonymous organ
Coddenham Norman Bros. & Beard 1895
Combs Binns 1910, ex-St. Andrew, Great Yarmouth.
Installed here by Boggis 1963.
Coney Weston small anonymous organ
Cookley Casson Positive, ex-Laxfield
Copdock Lewis & Co.
Corton Storr 1951, reconstructed Bower 1990
Cotton Abbott & Smith (Leeds) 1901.
Enthusiasts should note that the Mechanical Instrument
Museum at Cotton has a small but excellent Wurlitzer
theatre organ and the unique Compton organ from Great
Yarmouth Central Methodist Church with its electronically
Cowlinge Lewis & Co.
Cransford chamber organ in the shape of an upright
piano. Markings on bellows weights JJB could
refer to Bullen of Diss or they could be from an organ by
Binns (who certainly did not make this one!).
Cratfield one manual organ
Creeting Hall Walker 1881, installed here 1955 by
Storr from a bombed London church.
Creeting St. Mary Gildersleeve c.1900 very
large for him (three manuals)
Cretingham Daniel Gray 1843
Crowfield Norman & Beard 1913
Culford Binns c.1910
Dalham Walker 1860, converted from a barrel organ
Dallinghoo Alfred Monk (London) 1883
Darsham two manual organ from elsewhere, replacing
Casson which went to Wicklewood in 1946.
Debenham Bishop & Son
Denham, near Diss E.W. Normans first
commercial commission c.1870. Based on a Walker barrel
Denham St. Mary W.H. Prosser (London)
Dennington Father Willis Model organ,
1895, for St. Katharines College, Tottenham,
erected here behind the old case (ex-St. Margerets,
Ipswich) by Bishop 1967.
Denston Thomas Jones 1881 from elsewhere.
Drinkstone installed by Gildersleeve from Thurston
1901. Report by Peter Bumstead 2003 identifies the
original builder as Hart (Redgrave), but John Budgen says
that some of the pipes are uncannily like the Thamar
pipework at Framlingham, so this is possibly a much more
important instrument than would at first appear. Of the
16 drawstops, 5 have misspellings.
Dunwich Roger Pulham 1992. A rebuild of his organ
originally in Hazelwood School, which was damaged in a
storm. Superb double case in west gallery.
Earl Soham Norman & Beard 1897 incorporating
parts of earlier instrument.
Earl Stonham Gildersleeve 1899, revised by Bishop
East Bergholt Bishop 1891 for St. Andrew,
Gravesend. Rebuilt by them here 1965
Easton Harrison (Durham) organ 1885 from Clacton
Wesleyan Church exchanged with previous Easton organ.
Work done by Bedwell (Cambridge, although the plate says
London and Clacton-on-Sea).
Edwardstone Martin (Oxford) 1870. Rebuilt Arnold
1970, and again by Peter Bumstead 1998. Some pipework is
said to be from Father Smiths earliest
organ in the Sheldonian Theatre (late 17th century).
Superb Bodley case.
Ellough chamber organ by John Squire (London)
moved to Brampton, near Halesworth.
Elmsett John Gray c.1830. Gothick case.
Elmswell Henry Jones 1901
Elveden Norman & Beard 1907. Case by Caröe
Eriswell from somewhere in Yorkshire, rebuilt by
Summers & Barnes of York 1957.
Erwarton Norman & Beard 1912
Euston anonymous two manual organ 1884
Exning, St. Agnes Henry Jones 1886
Exning, St. Martin Harper (Newmarket) 1908,
reconstructed by Rest Cartwright and completed by E.J.
Johnson in 1965.
Eye last rebuilt Walker 1979. In 2003, moves were
afoot to replace this with a three manual Binns organ
from St. Marks, Leeds. The church also contains a
small chamber organ obtained through Gordon Paget from a
Mission Hall in High Wycombe.
Eyke Noble 1878
Fakenham Magna attributed to James Scott (West
Falkenham chamber organ long attributed to Samuel
Green, but recent research suggests that it is not his.
Felixstowe, St. Andrew Norman & Beard
ex-Middlegate Congregational, Great Yarmouth. Moved here
1930s by Norden (Ipswich)
Felixstowe, St. John the Baptist Norman &
Beard c.1895, Spurden Rutt c.1930, Boggis 1992.
Felixstowe, Trinity Methodist Norman & Beard
Felixstowe, United Reformed Church Kingsgate
Davidson (London) 1926, Bishop 1994
Felixstowe¸Walton, Baptist Bishop & Son
Felsham Hill 1899
Finningham Bevington, from a residence in
Flixton Bryceson Bros. & Ellis
Fornham All Saints Bishop & Son 1907
Fornham St. Martin Nelson (Durham) 1912 for Newark
Road Methodist Church, Lincoln. Installed here 1974
Framlingham Thomas Thamar (1674) for Pembroke
College Cambridge, but the case may be older one
of less than a handful of pre-Commonwealth cases. Here
1708. Last major rebuild by Bishop & Son 1969
returned it to the west gallery and has resulted in the
reconstitution of a most historically important
instrument. The front pipes may be the oldest speaking
organ pipes in the country c.1630. The church also
contains a chamber organ by William Allen 1797,
ex-Brimington, Derbyshire, brought here 1982.
Framlingham Unitarian old chamber organ
Freckenham anonymous single manual organ
Fressingfield Father Willis organ 1865
ex-Chapel Royal of the Savoy, erected here by Hill,
Norman & Beard 1939. New case by Ralph Bootman 1963.
Freston Bishop & Son 1938
Friston George White
Frostenden anonymous two manual organ
Gisleham Hill 1874
Gislingham Bevington 1870 ex-Dickleburgh, moved
here by Boggis 2002
Glemsford Forster & Andrews 1877
Great Ashfield Forster & Andrews 1884
Great Barton Boggis (Diss) replaced former organ
with a second-hand instrument 1998/99
Great Bealings Binns (Leeds) 1894
Great Blakenham Martin & Coate (Oxford) 1959
the last organ they built ex-St. Michael,
New Marston, Oxford. Rebuilt here 1997 by local
reed-organ restorer J. Burggy using some pipes from
previous organ by Dixon (Cambridge).
Great Bradley Gray mid 19th century ex-Walberswick
Great Bricett R. Watson (London) Imperial
Great Cornard Hunter, rebuilt Bishop c.1970
Great Finborough Hele (Plymouth) 1920
Great Glemham Flight & Son, early 19th
century. Originally a barrel and finger organ. Restored
Bishop & Son 1968.
Great Livermere Norman Bros. & Beard c.1888,
Gothick case c.1840.
Great Saxham W.H. Prosser (London)
Great Thurlow Holdich
Great Waldingfield Trustam (Bedford) 1888,
replacing or incorporating Walker barrel and finger organ
Great Wenham early T.C. Lewis. Small 3 manual
a fine, little known instrument.
Great Wratting small organ with Gothick case given
Groton Father Willis Model Organ 1888
for University College School, Hampstead, then in
Bickersteth Memorial Hall, Hampstead. Here 1950.
Grundisburgh Hill 1878
Gunton Griffin & Stroud (Bath)
Hacheston Paddy Benson for Norman
& Beard 1905.
Hadleigh Father Smith case c.1687
ex-Donyland Hall, Essex. Organ by Binns 1900, modified
Hadleigh, United Reformed Church Bishop & Son
ex-Strand Public School, Brixton. Here 1966.
Halesworth Norman & Beard 1889
Halesworth, St. Edmund RC Thomas Jones ex-Hadstock
PC, Essex, moved here by holmes 7 Swift 1985
Hartest Norman & Beard, incorporating previous
instrument by Sturgeon (Hartest)
Hasketon Norman & Beard
Haughley Alfred Monk c.1880
Haverhill Miller (Cambridge) 1897, Hill, Norman
& Beard 1938, Norman Hall (Cambridge) c.1984
Haverhill, West End Congregational , Jardine (Manchester)
Haverhill, Old Independent Binns 1894. Arguably
the finest surviving Binns organ.
Hawkedon Norman & Beard 1912
Hawstead Rayson (Ipswich) 1910 incorporating old
organ by Sturgeon (Hartest) 1858 and 1898. Fine gothic
Helmingham Alfred Monk 1914
Hemingstone anonymous single manual organ.
Hemley Holdich, ex-Martlesham. Here 1970s.
Hengrave Wordsworth (Leeds) c.1896. Case by Sir
Henley Casson Positive 1909
Henstead Bishop and Son. Case by Caröe.
Hepworth Wordsworth (Leeds)
Herringfleet Rudd & Co, Paris and Soho. Only
known organ by them. Fierce Gothick case.
Herringswell W.H. Prosser (London) 1870
Hessett Conacher (Huddersfield) 1869, modified by
Bishop & Son
Heveningham Norman & Beard
Higham St. Mary Norman & Beard 1892, from
Higham St. Stephen W.H. Prosser, ex-Denham
Hinderclay anonymous single manual organ
Hintlesham Hele (Plymouth)
Hitcham two manual organ, mid 19th century style
with Gothick case
Holbrook Miller (Cambridge) 1900
Holbrook School Chapel Hill, Norman & Beard
1933. One of the finest large (four manual) organs of its
period, standing behind the countrys largest
pipe-less organ screen in excellent acoustics. There is a
smaller Hill, Norman & Beard organ (1983) at the east
Hollesley Holdich, ex-Nettleham Hall, Lincoln.
Rebuilt here by Cousans (Lincoln) 1928.
Holton St. Mary W.J. Haywood (London)
Holton St. Peter Eustace Ingram (London)
Homersfield anonymous chamber organ
Honington Bishop & Son 1909
Hoo small organ c.1830 with Gothick case. John
Budgen suggests a local builder.
Hopton installed by public subscription 1886. Case
in the style of Burges.
Horham Hele (Plymouth) c.1910
Horringer Cedric Arnold, Williamson & Hyatt?
Hoxne Walker barrel organ 1836, converted 1876 and
Hundon Wadsworth (Manchester & Aberdeen) 1904
residence organ from Norman Tower, Elgin, installed here
1914 after the fire. Suffolk Churches reports rebuilding
Hunston Godball 1885
Huntingfield Casson 1921, but more elaborate than
most, with a separate pedal board.
Icklingham Bedwell (NPOR entry refers to All
Saints, but may be an error for St. James).
Ilketshall St. Andrew Casson Positive
Ingham Bevington 1861
Ipswich, All Hallows Binns, Fitton & Haley
Ipswich, Christ Church (UR and Baptist), Tackett St
Hill, Norman & Beard 1947
Ipswich, Holy Trinity Bishop & Son 1908
Ipswich, St. Augustine Walker 1931, Bishop &
Son 1971 and subsequently
Ipswich, St. Bartholomew Norman & Beard 1909
Ipswich, St. Clement Holdich, rebuilt Bishop,
moved to Selworthy, Devon.
Ipswich, St. Helen Bryceson 1964
Ipswich, St. John the Baptist Binns, Fitton &
Ipswich, St. Josephs College Chapel Grant,
Degens & Bradbeer 1967
Ipswich, St. Margaret Walker 1857, ex-Holy
Ipswich, St. Mary-at-Stoke Holdich
Ipswich, St. Mary-at-Elms Hunter 1912
Ipswich, St. Mary-le-Tower Father
Willis 1865, last rebuilt Bishop 1997
Ipswich, St. Matthew Forster & Andrews 1882,
Ipswich, St. Nicholas Spurden Rutt, no longer
Ipswich, St. Peter Gray & Son, Case and
possibly pipework to Llanllyfni, Gwynedd, 1960s
Ipswich, St. Thomas Hill, Norman & Beard 1939
Ipswich, Unitarian Bishop & Son
Ipswich, United Reformed, Castle Hill Christie
(Hill, Norman & Beard) theatre organ 1936,
ex-Essoldo, Clacton. Here 1971 and subsequently enlarged.
Ipswich, Whitton Miller (Cambridge), ex-Melbourn
Ixworth Nicholson & Lord (Walsall)
Kedington Walker chamber organ 1842, brought here
1990, having previously stood in the vestry (not the
church) at Great Sampford, Essex.
Kelsale August Gern 1877
Kenton organ by T. Chapell (Mildenhall) c.1860,
ex-Worlingworth moved to Edington, Wiltshire in the 1960s
Kersey Bishop & Son
Kesgrave Walker 1991. Striking modern case.
Kessingland Rushworth & Dreaper (Liverpool)
Kettlebaston Lewis Lieblich Model
Organ, acquired from Wattisham 1977
Kirton Cousans (Lincoln) Premier Model
Knodishall Binns 1909
Lackford Bevington 1882
Lakenheath Rayson 1925
Langham Walker 1889
Lavenham Father Willis 1885 for Holy
Trinity, Bournemouth. Rebuilt by Degens & Rippin
(later Grant, Degens & Bradbeer) 1964. Moved to St.
Swithin, Bournemouth 1972. Moved here 1996 by the Rector,
Revd. Derrick Stiff, under the guidance of John Bailey (a
Colchester man trained by Grant, Degens & Bradbeer,
who now manages the Ipswich branch of Bishop & Son).
Lawshall Wadsworth (Leeds)
Laxfield Organ from Clitheroe Baptist installed
here by Boggis 1963. Previous organ to Cookley.
Layham Bishop & Son 1903
Levington Ebrall organ from St. Chad, Rubery,
rebuilt here by Compton 1959.
Lidgate Hill, Norman & Beard 1924
Lindsey Hugh Russell chamber organ 1801, here 1927
from Kersey and previously Boxford.
Little Bealings Rayson
Little Blakenham Casson Positive
Little Glemham F.W. Durham (London)
Little Saxham Norman & Beard, ex-Mount Tabor
Chapel, Downham Market. Here 1964.
Little Stonham Rayson 1929
Little Thurlow small organ, older than the case it
Little Waldingfield Hart (Redgrave) c.1809 ex-St.
Mary, Thetford. Installed here by Peter Bumstead 1990. A
notable example of the successful transplant of an
Little Welnetham Gildersleeve 1870
Long Melford Walker 1867
Long Melford United Reformed Kirkland c.1880, from
a church in Hertfordshire 1904.
Lound Harrison & Harrison (Durham) 1913.
Lowestoft, St. Andrew secondhand organ installed
by Terry Hepworth (Lowestoft) 1970s
Lowestoft, St. Margaret Forster & Andrews1871,
1902, Hill, Norman & Beard 1937
Lowestoft, St. Mark Hill, Norman & Beard
Lowestoft, SS Peter & Paul, Kirkley Brindley
& Foster (Leeds) 1861, last rebuilt Boggis 1959. Four
Lowestoft, Central Methodist Benjamin Grindrod
Lowestoft, Congregational, Oulton Broad Nelson
Lowestoft, Our Lady Star of the Sea RC Norman
& Beard 1900
Market Weston Wordsworth & Maskell (Leeds)
Marlesford Bishop & Son
Martlesham Holdich organ moved to Hemley.
Mellis Bedwell 1898
Melton Hill, rebuilt Norman & Beard
Mendham Rayson 1872
Mendlesham Nicholson (Worcester) organ from Worple
Road Methodist, Wimbledon, rebuilt here in existing case
Metfield Morton & Moody (Oakham) 1909, erected
here by Storr 1953, replacing old Corps organ.
Mettingham Walker, rebuilt Williamson & Hyatt
Middleton Bishop & Son 1938
Mildenhall Father Willis 1865
Mildenhall, St. John RC Compton
Miniatura Model Organ c.1950, moved here
2002, completed by Holmes & Swift. Case from an organ
by Sweetland (Bath).
Monk Soham Rayson 1908
Monks Eleigh Walker 1879
Nacton Browne (Canterbury) ex-Ightham, Kent.
Installed here by local enthusiasts c.1979.
Naughton chamber organ by Robertus Gray 1777.
Nayland Organ came here from Canterbury Cathedral
in 1777, when Samuel Green built a new one there. Some
pipes may be pre-Green (e.g. Snetzler). This was during
the incumbency of the Revd. William Jones, who was a
noted scholar and composer (he wrote the popular hymn
tune St. Stephen). As it stands, the organ is
substantially as rebuilt by Henry Jones 1865. It was
moved from the west gallery by W. Raeburn Andrew (London)
1894, rebuilt by Bishop 1914 and rebuilt and returned to
the gallery by Arnold, Williamson & Hyatt 1968. A
very fine instrument.
Nedging Casson Positive
Needham Market Rayson 1883
Newbourne Casson Positive
Newmarket, All Saints Binns 1908
Newmarket, St. Mary Brindley & Foster (Leeds)
Newton Green Bevington organ ended up in Prague.
Roger Pulham built a new one in 1975, but this was later
advertised for sale.
North Cove small two manual organ
Norton - Dixon (Cambridge) 1882
Nowton August Gern
Oakley Abbott & Smith (Leeds)
Old Felixstowe Gray & Davison
Old Newton Peter Bumstead (Ipswich) 1987, using
parts of old Dixon (Cambridge) organ.
Orford Bishop & Son
Otley possibly Norman & Beard.
Oulton 2 manual organ 1898
Oulton Broad Walker organ installed by Hill,
Norman & Beard 1950
Pakefield Hill, Norman & Beard, replacing a
Bevington installed here 1948 from Tiptree
Pakenham Bates c.1850
Palgrave Walker 1907
Parham Norman & Beard 1903
Peasenhall Alfred Monk 1894
Pettaugh Rayson 1942
Pettistree Alfred Noble
Playford 2 manual organ
Polstead Henry Jones 1870
Preston James Trustam (Bedford)
Rattlesden Gray & Davison, restored with new
case Bishop & Son 1970
Raydon Bevington 1880s, Kingsgate Davidson 1952
Redgrave Casson 1889, larger than his usual with
two manuals and various complicated devices.
Redisham small organ with simple case
Rendham Alfred Monk
Reydon Walker 1884, resited by Bishop 1981
Ringsfield Henry Jones from Groton 1950
Ringshall Casson Positive
Risby George Green (Ipswich) 1868
Rougham Norman & Beard 1900, Norman Hall 1970
Rumburgh Hill 1870, ex-Shipmeadow. Here 1980.
Rushbrooke no pipe organ, but the furnishings
installed by Colonel Rushbrooke in 1840 include an
elaborate, if crude, organ case at the west end.
Rushmere St. Andrew Dixon (Cambridge) 1882, Hill,
Norman & Beard 1948, subsequent minor modifications
by Bishop & Son.
Santon Downham Osmond (Taunton) Model Organ 1968
Saxmundham Albert Pease (London)
Saxtead chamber organ installed in the 1980s.
Semer Norman & Beard
Shadingfield Geo. Parsons & Son (London),
enlarged and altered Walker (1894), Bishop (1970)
Shelland Bryceson barrel organ 1810. The only
barrel organ still in exclusive use in a church. A new
barrel was made by John Budgen in 2005, the tunes
including Be still, for the presence of the
Shelley small organ ex-Woodbridge Baptist,
possibly originally Woodbridge PC. Here 1977.
Shimpling Bevington 1871
Shipmeadow Hill organ went to Rumburgh 1980.
Shotley Flight, supplied by Godball
Shottisham Bevington, ex-St. Andrew, Felixstowe.
Sibton Bishop & Starr 1872
Snape Peter Bumstead 2001. Pattern of case
decoration suggested by local reed-beds.
Somerleyton 1860, ex-Chapel in the Fields
Congregational, Norwich. Here (Hill Norman & Beard)
Somerton small organ possibly by Sturgeon
(Hartest) or Gildersleeve (Bury).
Sotherton Bevington 1888
Sotterley Bevington 1880s, enlarged Hill, Norman
& Beard 1923.
South Cove 19th century chamber organ by D. Grant
South Elmham All Saints Ingram (London) 1884
South Elmham St. Andrew Casson
South Elmham St. Cross Norman & Beard
South Elmham St. James 19th century chamber organ
South Elmham St. Margaret Henry Jones 1900
Southwold Walker 1887, rebuilt Arnold, Williamson
& Hyatt 1966
Southwold, Congregational only the case remains of
the rather fine Holdich acquired from the Parish Church.
Southwold, Methodist old (Holdich?) organ
dismantled and parts dispersed.
Southwold, RC small 2 manual organ by Vowles
Spexhall chamber organ in Gothick case, signed
inside by E. Kendall, Kensington, 1840. Said to have come
from Turret Green Baptist, Ipswich (but not the large
organ which was in that church when it closed). Restored
by Peter Bumstead 1993.
Sproughton Hill, Norman & Beard 1934
Stansfield Henry Jones c.1900
Stanstead Thomas Jones
Stanton Wordsworth & Maskell (Leeds) 1887
Sternfield pretty little organ replaced by an
electronic and moved to Little Tey, Essex.
Stoke Ash David Miller (Orwell) installed an
organ, rebuilt by Rest Cartwright, from Toddington
Baptist, Bedfordshire 1991.
Stoke by Clare Henry Jones 1904
Stoke by Nayland Gray & Davison 1847,
subsequent work by Henry Jones and Bishop & Son.
Stonham Aspall Bishop & Son 1935,
incorporating earlier work by Bevington.
Stoven Father Willis
Scudamore organ 1849, enlarged by Bevington
1882, acquired by Ranald Clouston when the church closed.
Stowlangtoft Medieval organ built for
the Great Exhibition 1851. Case by John Seddon. A good
example of what the early Tractarians thought an organ
Stowmarket Bishop & Son 1994, incorporating
Hele organ c.1886 from Emmanuel, Harrow Road, Paddington.
Stowmarket, Bethesda Baptist E.W. Norman
Stowmarket United Reformed Willis 1953 (fine
instrument. New after war damage).
Stowupland Binns 1911, Bishop & Son 1972
Stradbroke Holdich 1873
Stradishall old chamber organ in a utilitarian new
case installed by Storr 1956
Stratford St. Mary W.C. Mack (Great Yarmouth). One
of his best.
Stuston Kirkland 1891
Stutton Bishop & Son 1903, Boggis 1977
Sudbourne Gray & Davison 1879
Sudbury, All Saints Brindley & Foster 1870,
Bishop & Son 1882
Sudbury, St. Gregory Bishop & Son 1879 and
Sudbury, St. Peter Lewis & Co. 1911. An
important example of their work.
Sudbury Hardy (Stockport)
Sudbury, Masonic Temple Robson c.1800. Here 1886
and subsequently enlarged.
Sudbury, Methodist Beales (Croydon). Originally
belonged to Ralph Vaughan Williams.
Sudbury, United Reformed Conacher (Huddersfield)
Sutton ex-Marlesford 1932
Sweffling Samuel Parsons chamber organ
glass fronted case
Swilland Wordsworth & Maskell (Leeds)
Syleham Norman & Beard 1891
Tannington Bishop & Son
Tattingstone Bevington 1887
Theberton Norman & Beard ex-St. John,
Woodbridge 2003, replacing 3 manual Henry Jones
ex-practice organ, which was one of the oddest in the
Thelnetham Bates c.1855
Thorndon E.W. Norman 1881
Thornham Magna Abbott & Smith (Leeds)
Thorpe Morieux J.C. Bishop c.1830 for Curzon
Street Chapel, London, subsequently in chapels in Brixton
and Kingsbury. Here 1968. Fine example with good case
attributed to Byfield c.1760..
Thorpeness George White. The largest of several in
the county by this otherwise obscure London builder.
Thrandeston Osmond (Taunton) Model Organ installed
Thurston Willis 1901. Old organ went to
Trimley St. Martin C.H. Walker (London) an
ex-Bishop man, nothing to do with J.W. Walker.
Trimley St. Mary J.W. Walker
Troston - Wordsworth & Co. (Leeds)
Tuddenham St. Mary Bevington
Tuddenham St. Martin Bishop & Son
Tunstall Bishop & Son installed a 2 manual
organ from the Peoples Hall (Methodist), Ipswich
Squire organ dispersed when the church closed
Ufford Norman & Beard 1912
Uggeshall Bevington 1873
Willis 1959 an example of Henry Willis 4s
Junior Development Plan, enlarged 1961 and
remodelled by Bishop & Son 1994. Case by Ralph
Bootman . Old organ went to Great Bradley.
Waldringfield Casson Positive
Walpole Holdich, from a Methodist chapel in
Littleport. Gothick case.
Walsham-le-Willows Norman & Beard, ex-Crossway
Congregational, New Kent Road, London 1914.
Wangford Walker 1880. A particularly good one.
Wantisden Stiddolph (Woodbridge) minimalist
with only one stop.
Washbrook Casson Positive
Wattisfield Cedric Arnold 1954
Wenhaston J.C. Bishop 1810 for Old Marylebone
Parish Church. Here 1950. Good case.
Westerfield Bishop & Son 1920, modified by
them 1962 and by Peter Bumstead 1993
Westhall Walker 1870
Westleton presented 1920 an enlargement by
the Premier Organ Co. of a late 18th century chamber
Weston Casson Positive replaced with
electronic 1969, went to Scoulton, Norfolk
West Row Norman Hall replaced an organ by Thomas
West Stow Bevington 1886
Wetherden Rayson 1918, enhanced by Bishop &
Wetherden, Baptist ex-Hadleigh Congregational 1966
Wetheringsett given in 1856. Gothick case, second
manual a later addition.
Whatfield Cedric Arnold 1952, incorporating parts
of a chamber organ belonging to the former Rector, the
Revd. J.H. Burn, a noted organ enthusiast.
Whepstead Cedric Arnold 1957
Wherstead Hugh Russell 1843. From Wilby, via Field
Dalling, Whittlesey Methodist and Field, Oxfordshire.
Moved to present location by Boggis & Briscoe 1976.
Wickham Market Noble
Wickham Skeith chamber organ with mahogany case,
possibly George Pike England.
Wickhambrook W.H. Prosser 1886
Wilby Norman & Beard, altered by a previous
incumbent, recently rebuilt by Boggis
Winston early 19th century chamber organ
Wissett chamber organ by Jones &
Co. acquired from Wrentham 1970.
Wissington working John Gray barrel organ 1840.
Finger organ by Roger Pulham 1970.
Withersfield W.H. Wallis Johnson (Cambridge). May
be an older chamber organ. Restored and the case painted
by Cedric Arnold, Williamson and Hyatt.
Woodbridge Monk 1886, rebuilt by Bishop, most
recently in 1989.
Woodbridge, United Reformed Johannes
Woodbridge, Methodist Norman & Beard 1896
Woolpit Bryceson 1897
Woolverstone Lewis 1890
Worlingham Walker 1874
Worlington Cousans Premier Model Organ
Worlingworth Norman & Beard 1890
Wortham Norman & Beard 1911
Wrentham Bevington 1889, revoiced c.1930 by the
Revd. Noel Bonavia Hunt, an enthusiast and prolific
writer about organs.
Wyverstone Gray & Davison 1860, installed by
Peter Bumstead 2001
Yaxley Bevington c.1872
Yoxford original organ by G.P. England 1791 for
Moravian Church, Fetter Lane, London. Reconstructed by
Henry Gunther 1920. Fine case.
David Drinkell BA, FRCO(CHM), ADCM, ARCM
Organist & Choir Director
Cathedral of St. John the Baptist,
back to ORGANS OF
home I index I what's new? I about this site I e-mail
top 50 I glossary I links I books I place names I contact a church
small print I www.simonknott.co.uk I www.norfolkchurches.co.uk