St Andrew, Ipswich
|It seems impossible
that a church would fit into the tight little terraced
rows off of Foxhall Road, but here it is, set back from
Britannia Road, and actually even bigger than it appears
from the outside.
Cautley's work to the left looks rather like a garage, but the clean lines of the modern extension are superb.
There are several churches here, each built on as needs demanded and resources allowed. The first, in 1930, was a tiny chapel of ease to St John the Baptist, and in fact St Andrew did not become a parish in its own right until 1974. It is distinguished in so far as it was designed by Munro Cautley, although this is nothing as interesting as his contemporary All Hallows, or even the overblown St Augustine around the corner.
The new lectern and altar at St Andrew.